Getting started with Interface X for Android
Start building your search and discovery experience in a few simple steps:
- Discover more about the Interface X for Android ecosystem and how Interface X for Android work.
- Integrate Interface X for Android in your store native application.
- Use & configure Interface X Components for Android in your project.
The Interface X for Android ecosystem
The Interface X for Android ecosystem consists of libraries of components for native Android apps. These independent building blocks, with their own unique view and behavior, allows you to progressively build your search and discovery experience. The more you add, the more functionality you get. There are numerous components to choose from, and the catalogue evolves quickly with new experiences.
Integrate Interface X for Android
You can use Interface X for Apps in an application in two ways:
- using Interface X Archetype for Apps, an out-of-the-box project with all you need to get up and running fast, or
- integrating Interface X Components for Apps in your project for a more custom approach.
Interface X Archetype for Android
The Interface X Archetype for Android project is the perfect combination of all the existing Interface X Components for native apps. Instead of starting from a completely blank canvas, ramp up quickly with an already working search and discovery experience in your mobile application. This is the perfect solution for most cases. But don’t worry! You’re still able to:
- Change the default styles for styles that match your mobile application.
- Mix and match X Components at your ease to create the search and discovery experience that best meet your requirements.
- Change the layout and distribution of the X Components.
- Change configuration parameters such as the number of suggestions, enable or disable previous searches.
To start using the Interface X Archetype for Android project, see Integrate Interface X Archetype for Android.
Interface X Components for Android
This is the more deep and flexible use of the Interface X Components for Android, allowing you to import any components you desire into your mobile application and render dynamic view components. It lets you connect, customize, extend, style, or even create new components without any limitations. This is the way to go if you like to look under the hood!
Interface X Components for Android contains three main libraries:
- x-types: Interface X types library responsible for holding the entity models and public interfaces. This library is mandatory as it defines the data models that are widely used in the other libraries.
- x-adapter: Search adapter library in charge of API communication. This library can be used on its own to help access the APIs easily. It contains the calls to the API and the data serialization. Use x-adapter to customize everything you need easily; for instance: endpoints, URLs of the API calls, query parameters, timeouts, data serialization, etc.
- x-components: Interface X Components library that renders dynamic view components. All the views can be used independently or you can improve the experience by using them together. The views interact through custom events that can be listened to from outside the library. Furthermore, the properties of the views can be accessed and modified as appropriate.
You can integrate any or all of these libraries as required: use the search adapter library to connect your own views with the APIs, use the X Components library and communicate with your own search API, or combine the adapter and X Components to use the Empathy search API and views.
Interface X for Android is built with customization in mind. You can extend or configure the components as required:
- Mix and match with other X Components.
- Extend component behavior with your own development.
- Redefine the component visual design.
- Implement in Android native applications.
To get started with the Interface X Components for Android, check out Integrate Interface X Components for Android.
You can use Empathy Search API, Elasticsearch, or Solr endpoints with both approaches.
Use Interface X Components for Android
The Interface X Components are like pieces of a puzzle, but they are pieces that fit into any position on the board!
Each component offers multiple configuration parameters to play around with, allowing you greater flexibility over the experience.
Unsure how to start? Check out Use the Interface X Components for Android library.